|“||She's the knight and you're the thief, that means I'm the token wizard of this team. Yay...||”|
Sherman Gustavo Mercedes
Shermy (by his mother)
Isabelle Mercedes (Mother)
Sherman Mercedes is one of the main characters featured in Riftwalkers, acting as the tritagonist. He is a longtime best friend of Jamie Lake, having introduced with each other when they were kids during the first day of martial arts class, and the sole partner of Corrina Tarron in his time as a Riftwalker. He acts as the trio's spellcaster and their go-to guy in magic and the many creatures that rely on it.
Sherman hails from a family of wizards and witches who tend to have short lives in their dedication to fight for the rights of others, especially during times where conflct and turmoil were commonplace.
Sherman is a young man of Filipino descent with tan skin, brown eyes, and messy black hair; something that has been a result of him programming for hours, even going so far so to stay up the entire night. He has an impish and confident smirk on his face whenever he faces situations that dare challenge his intellectual supremacy.
|“||My magic is like electricity and unlike yours, I need a conductor or else someone might find themselves hungry for flies.||”|
—Sherman showing the Arcanum Rings to his friends.
- Emerald Set: Emerald-made rings worn on Sherman's left fingers. This set directs Air-based spells through his left hand exclusively.
- Garnet Set: Garnet/Ruby-made rings worn on Sherman's right fingers. This set directs Earth-based spells through his right hand exclusively.
Powers & Abilities
Magical Physiology: As a member of the Mercedes family, Sherman has a heightened condition that makes him slightly powerful than an average human.
- Agility: Sherman can execute acrobatic movements and maneuver himself away from enemy attacks with ease. He can cast a gust of wind around himself to boost his agility as well, to the point that he can jump over one-storey buildings in a single leap.
- Strength: Sherman is strong enough to restrain a Hidebehind by grabbing its tail, showing no visible signs of exhaustion. He was able to chop a small boulder into pieces, although his hand was injured in the process.
Magic: Sherman is a skilled practitioner in the magical arts thanks to his cursed heritage, as well as some additional training under the tutelage of Francisco. In addition to knowing a number of basic spells, Sherman's forte is his affinity with Earth and Wind magic.
Esoteric Knowledge: ....
- Uncontrollable Magic: Sherman has been noted to have vast magical potential by his late grandfather but lacks proper control over it. He has better control on spellcasting thanks to the Arcanum Rings, which also amplify his magical potency a bit, but can lose control should his rings come off of his fingers. This particular weakness will worsen if Sherman gives into his negative emotions, to the point that not even the rings can't hold it back.
- Mercedes Curse: Like his predecessors before him, Sherman's arcane lineage may lead him to an untimely death sometime in his life. Sherman's ambiguous doom has made him a bit paranoid, freaking out at anything he deems as a "safety hazard". He sometimes prioritize the safety of others and himself during situations where their lives are at stake, although this lessens gradually as they go along in their adventure.